ALTO SECTION LEADER
Elgin Master Chorale is seeking an Alto Section Leader for its 2023-24 Season. EMC is a cultural cornerstone of Elgin and the Fox Valley creating a thrilling, emotional experience for audiences. Elgin Master Chorale is comprised of approximately 85 adult singers – admitted by audition only – who share a passion for choral masterworks and other fine choral repertoire.
Come join EMC as it begins its 77th season. Hear the voices. Feel the passion.
Alto Section Leader Position Description
Qualified external as well as internal candidates will be considered. EMC meets on Tuesday evenings and 3-4 weekend concert dates during Elgin Community College’s academic calendar. Duties run for approximately eight months beginning in late August and ending in mid-May.
- Bachelor of Music degree or equivalent experience required
- Previous experience in teaching voice, conducting sectional rehearsals, and/or singing in a professional ensemble desired
- Strong vocal technique
- Excellent sight-reading ability
- Sufficient piano skill to play a single vocal part
- Ability to inspire and support the singers in their assigned section
- Fluent diction in English, Latin, German, French, and Italian
- Ability to attend all rehearsals and performances
- Some daytime availability for educational outreach is desired
- Thorough understanding of and ability to assist with rehearsal and concert etiquette
- Ability and willingness to maintain and extend the Music Director’s vision within and outside the chorus
- Comfortable in a shared leadership environment. (There will be two leaders per section.)
- Assist Music Director in all rehearsals where needed
- Meet periodically with Music Director.
- Discuss strengths and weaknesses of the section, review improvement plan progress, and revise as needed
- Ensure any questions regarding the music for the particular section are answered
- Conduct sectional rehearsals from the keyboard as needed
- Work with each singer in their respective section on a need-to basis
- Assist all singers in their section with music markings
- Spot check scores of individual singers
- Assist the Music Director in evaluating singers
- Advise the Music Director on the need for additional sectional rehearsals
- Assist the Music Director with educational outreach activities and opportunities
- Sing small to medium-sized solos
- Serve as understudy for guest soloists
- Send your résumé in advance. Also, bring two copies on the date of your audition.
- Prepare one Italian aria and one German lied demonstrating your vocal range, stamina, dynamics, and agility. Bring one copy of each for the accompanist and one each for the Music Director.
- Take a sight singing and rhythm test.
- Take a sight-reading test on the piano.
- Be prepared to articulate to the panel, within a 60-second maximum time frame, why you want to be a section leader with the EMC.
- An accompanist will be provided for your audition
- The EMC Music Director, Andrew Lewis, will preside over all auditions. Additional panelists will be present as well.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with resume and cover letter.