ELGIN MASTER CHORALE
JOB DESCRIPTION – CHILDREN’S CHORUS DIRECTOR
The Elgin Master Chorale is seeking a dynamic, energetic individual to lead its Children’s Chorus starting in summer 2018. Specifically, the Elgin Master Chorale is looking for someone who is:
- Passionate about instilling a love of choral singing in young people
- Comfortable working with a wide range of ages
- Dedicated to the growth of the chorus, and is able to create and maintain a vision for its future
- Proven in their ability to grow music programs that encourage dedication and participation
- Knowledgeable about and skilled in the classical children’s choral technique, and adept at selecting repertoire for such an ensemble
The duties of the Director will commence in late July with the Children’s Chorus annual summer camp, and then move into the start of the 2018-19 season in September.
Reports to: Elgin Master Chorale Music Director
The Director provides vision and motivation for the artistic growth of the Elgin Master Chorale (EMC) Children’s Chorus. The Director prepares for and conducts the Children’s Chorus in performance. The Director collaborates with the Music Director, Executive Director, Children’s Chorus Managing Director, and the Board of Directors to develop, implement and monitor strategies within budgetary provisions which provide for the achievement of the artistic goals, objectives and long range plans of the EMC Children’s Chorus. The Director implements an education plan designed to enhance the singers’ musical skills and knowledge.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- With the EMC Music Director and Children’s Chorus Managing Director, recruits and auditions singers drawn from area schools.
- Conducts rehearsals and performances or finds a replacement if cannot attend.
- Collaborates with the Music Director, Executive Director, Children’s Chorus Managing Director, and the Artistic Development Committee to establish yearly programming and to develop and implement continuing education programs for its singers.
- Seeks beneficial opportunities to perform beyond its usual engagements.
- Develops and maintains strong collegial relationships with the EMC Music Director, Executive Director, Accompanist, and Children’s Chorus Managing Director
- Represents the chorus at community events.
- Works cooperatively with the Children’s Chorus Managing Director and Accompanist.
- Works with the Resource Development Committee on fundraising activities.
- Works effectively with staff and volunteers to ensure safe practices.
- Additionally consults with the Artistic Development Committee as needed.
Qualifications and Skills
- Experienced choral conductor with Bachelor’s Degree in Music or higher.
- Experience working with children of multiple ages.
- Ties to local schools and community in general.
- Energetic engaging personality with drive to grow the program.
- Satisfactory background check.
Email cover letter and resumé to email@example.com